Q.2 What is WBS ?
- Project System is a Project management tool from SAP. Which has a very good integration with the other modules of SAP like FI, CO, MM, SD, PP, HR, DMS. This module basically co-ordinates and controls all the phases of a project, in direct co-ordination with purchasing and controlling, from quotation to design and approval, to resource management and cost settlement.
- Also beside the integration with the SAP module this Project system also has an integration with the third party popular Project management tools like Microsoft Projects and Primavera.
A Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) is a model of a project, and shows the project activities to be fulfilled in hierarchical form. It forms the operative basis for planning costs, revenues, and payments, as well as for scheduling, and budgeting. It also shows the responsibility.
One definition from the Project Management Institute is as follows:
- The Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) is a key planning tool used to define a project in terms of its deliverables while providing a method for breaking these deliverables into meaningful work efforts.
- It is the functional basis for further planning steps in a project, for example, for process planning, cost planning, scheduling, capacity planning or costing, as well as project control.
- It provides a clear picture of the project and facilitates the coordination and implementation of the project from a management standpoint.
- It shows the work involved in a project.
- Work Breakdown Structures (WBS) is created under an object known as Project definition.
Settlement rules are nothing but settling the account for a cost center. Which WBS are account assigned the cost of corresponding WBS should be settled to the respective cost center assigned for that WBS.Settlement rule is assigned in settlement profile in which you will define (like assect) the rules of settlement.
It is another function for planning costs at WBS elements level. It uses the existing Controlling, purchasing or MM data in the form of costing items. Also you can have predefined costing models to simplify repeated entries.
LSMW is an encapsulated data transfer tool. It can provide the same functionality as BDC in fact much more but when coming to technical perspective most the parameters are encapsulated. To list out some of the differences:
- LSMW is basically designed for a functional consultant who do not do much coding but need to explore the functionality while BDC is designed for a technical consultant.
- LSMW offers different technique for migrating data: Direct input ,BAPI,Idoc,Batch input recording. While BDC basically uses recording.
- LSMW mapping is done by SAP while in BDC we have to do it explicitly.
- LSMW is basically for standard SAP application while BDC basically for customized application.
A project is a system which involves project, sub project, activities & tasks. It will have the good integration with the other modules like MM, FI/CO & PM modules.
- Project Coding helps display complex project numbers. They can also be used to indicate the position of a WBS element in the project hierarchy.
- We can create a mask for every key you want to use in project coding. Project Definition has to be unique in the SAP System and also WBS Element has to be unique in the SAP System.
- Project code is changeable and the hierarchy can be changed up to certain point of project status.
- Project Code has 2 parts:
Part 1: Project Identifier (Project Coding Mask)
Part 2: Project Number (usually a serial number)
- Every project begins with a Project-ID (max. 5 Characters), Using separators to distinguish the different WBS levels. e.g.: “/”, “-“, “.”